I am an interactive, digital ceramic designer from the Central Coast of NSW. As part of my interest in co-design and 3D printed ceramics I have conducted workshops and developed my practice including a workshop as part of Sydney Design 2019 and a co-design and 3D printed clay workshop and community exhibition with The Country Women’s Association. The workshops were developed in conjunction with my Master of Design (Honours) at the University of NSW Art and Design, exploring co-design theories and interactive generative platforms in ceramics.
Before my move into digital ceramics, I ran a small ceramic design studio focused on hand made ceramic objects. I developed these objects for sale at markets such as the Young Blood Designer Market at MAAS in 2012 and The Fortynine Studio Exhibition ReForm, which was Named ‘Highlight of Sydney Design Festival, 2011’.
In the past, I focused on digital design for which I received numerous awards while employed as Studio Manager at Thinkun Informed Interactive in Newtown Sydney from 2010-2013. Awards included GOLD for Business Mobile Sites at the Communicator Awards and best mobile website at the Australian Web Awards for work on www.goget.com. My experience in digital design also extends to two internships completed in 2010 one at Fairfax Digital and the other at Dungog Film Festival.
GOLD: Business Mobile Sitesproject / GoGet website
2014: Communicator Awards GOLD at the international Communicator Awards for making the best business mobile website in the world for work on goget.com.au.
SILVER: Green/Eco-Friendlyproject / GoGet website
2014: Communicator Awards SILVER at the international Communicator Awards under the websites > Green/Eco-Friendly category for my work on goget.com.au.
Best mobile websiteProject / GoGet website
2013: Australian Web Awards, For the best mobile website award for NSW state for our work on the architecture, design and development of www.goget.com.au - the website representing Australia's first and largest car share company.
AWWWARDS site of the day nominationProject / Craig Alexander Website
2013: AWWWARDS site of the day nomination for www.craigalexander.com
Webby Awards HonoreeProject / Mark Webber Website
2012: Webby Awards for www.markwebber.com
Finalist, Eastern regionPROJECT / Mark Webber Website
2011: Best website - Culture & Events | Australian Web Awards
2012 – Present Founding Member/Designer | Charly – Ceramic Design Studio
A fresh, new collaboration born out of a shared love of Ceramic Design and the handmade.
- Administration and financial management
- Creation of online marketing assets
- Stall design and setup
- Product design and production
2010 – 2013 Studio Manager | Thinkun Informed Interactive
Responsible for designs from concept to completion. Working with designers, developer and printers to produce a high quality finished work to a deadline. Design and art direction across a variety of projects in print, branding and digital design.
- Mark Webber
- ABC Shop
- Red Balloon
- Murdoch Books
- University of Sydney
Client, and project management:
- Prepared project briefs
- Managed client expectations and enquiries
- Project documentation; timelines, and scope of work
- Managed job traffic, assign briefs and all work is delivered on time
- Balanced the needs of the client with team and business
- Ongoing project reviews, analysis, quality control and assessment
- Responsible for WIP and delegating tasks
- Day to day running of the studio including timesheet collection, budget allocation and team morale
- Managed a small team of interns, designers and developers both in-house and freelancers
- Developed and implemented the internship program
- Mentored multiple interns from COFA, Billy Blue and Sydney University
Lunchtime lecture series:
- Developed a series of lunchtime lectures
- Tailored lectures keep team knowledge varied and up to date in a fast-paced digital market
2010 – 2013 Freelance graphic design
Working closely with clients from the concept development stage through to design and print production. Projects varied from small in-house promotions to large multi-media advertising campaigns.
- Starbucks Coffee Company
- Cuneo Dance Company
- Lolo Lovina
2010 Graphic Design Internship | Fairfax Digital
Worked on a wide variety of projects for both print and digital mediums from coffee cups to one of the first iPad apps ever developed in Australia.
- Sports & Style magazine
- Essential Baby
- Business Day
2010 Graphic design Internship | Dungog Film Festival
Office administration, database entry, research, film distribution and design work across a wide variety of mediums and scales including print, video and web.
2003 – 2011 Classroom facilitator/Shift Supervisor | Starbucks Coffee Company
- Tailored curriculum and adjust pace of the workshop to improve overall results for the students
- Led discussions
- Created an interactive learning environment, balancing the experience and learning styles of all participants
- Led a team of 15 or more partners
- Trained new partners by positively reinforcing successful performance and giving respectful and encouraging coaching as needed
- Created a positive learning environment by providing clear, specific, timely and respectful coaching and feedback
- Developed positive relationships by understanding and addressing individual motivation, needs and concerns